Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Healthy 2013!

If one of your resolutions for 2013 is in any way associated with losing weight, getting into better shape, or just becoming healthier, I've got some brief advice – take it or leave it, as I’m by no means an expert…

Put a premium on what you eat over working out. 

Notice I said what you eat as opposed to how much you eat.  Calories are a meaningless metric when it comes to losing or gaining weight.  What are more important are the types of foods you ingest and how they direct your metabolism (burn fat, or accumulate fat).  As long as you’re eating the right foods, eat until you’re satiated.  That’s it.

Now, let me be very clear:  I’m not saying don’t work out.  I don’t think the guy who is an obsessive triathlete and marathoner could ever in a million years say that with a straight face.  All I’m saying is that if the very rare [probably non-existent] situation presented itself where you had to choose between eating healthy and exercising, I’d go with eating healthy 100 times out of 100. 

Many folks will get back into the gym on January 1st with a goal in mind to lose weight.  Many of those same people won’t make adjustments to their eating habits and will see zero – not minimal, not a little bit – but zero progress.  Too many people at this day in age think they can eat whatever they want and then hop on the elliptical for 1hr and ‘burn it off.’  The fact is that it’s just not true.  There’s so much truth to the old adage of that “We are what we eat.”

Here’s to a Happy and Healthy 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment