Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

My new place


My generation has been referred to as a lot of things, one of which are “boomerangs.”  We graduated high school, left home for college, and then returned before moving out again to settle into the real world.  I was what you could possibly call a “double-boomerang.”  Here’s what I mean: <inhale> I graduated high school, went to SMU, returned home to save money while working, moved out to an apartment, after two years was hired at Southwest Airlines, decided I wanted to move closer to work, moved home until I found a place, found a place, and then moved back out <exhale>.

I consider myself to be extremely lucky that (a) my parents were nice enough to let me move back home not once, but twice (rent-free nonetheless) and (b) my parents are cool as hell.  Besides some occasional rush hour traffic commuting to and from work, I thoroughly enjoyed living at home.

A little over two weeks ago I completed my journey as a “double-boomerang”: moving out of my parents’ house for what is likely the last time.  Bittersweet feelings, I’d say, as I love seeing my family and I also love my home.  But not much will change; we’ll just have more options of places to hang out.

My new condo is actually owned by my parents.  They’ve had it for almost thirty years and lived in it for two years prior to getting married.  So not only is the condo fantastic to live in, it’s got incredible sentimental value.  I’ve heard plenty of stories about the condo, as my parents reminisce on the memories (good and bad!).  

My parents and me on my move-in day.
Life has a funny way of balancing itself out.  My move-in date was actually my parents' 28th year wedding anniversary.  Pretty coincidental, but even more poetic.

My Dad in the middle, with my Mom's friends on the day of their wedding shower in front of the condo. 

My Mom in the middle.




4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the great space, Brian! We are never too old to need love and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that you have been moving a lot in the past years. Well, it is perfectly normal to have that bittersweet feeling when you are moving out of your parents’ house, even if you’ve done this a couple of times more. But this would be the chance to act more independent. I’m sure your parents will be happy for you. Congrats on the move! Hope to see some pictures soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving out means freedom, a new beginning! Aren’t you excited about that? I felt a different kind of happiness when I finally moved into my condo. It’s your time to live on your own! Be happy! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that “bittersweet” feeling of moving out of your parent’s house. It gave me an impression of how close your family tie is. Anyway, just look at this as an opportunity for you to grow and be independent. After all, you can always visit your parents whenever you feel homesick.

    ReplyDelete