Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Recovery: thoughts on Eminem's new album

“...I’ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt undoubtedly
And all those who looked down on me I’m tearin’ down your balcony…”

- Eminem, ‘Not Afraid’ (Recovery 2010)

I am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on rap. But now that I’ve had Eminem’s new album “Recovery” for a few weeks, I think it’s safe to say that I’ve been able to digest the material and form an opinion on the album. Here’s my two cents.

He’s still the same old dude, using language that makes you cringe even when you’re the only one in your car listening. Some of it is seemingly unnecessary, if not all of it, some would argue. He’s not a rapper who produces CD’s you’d want to burn for your Mom or even an “open” Dad who dabbles with Slim Thug from time to time. Avid rap gurus can’t help but shake their heads when they hear some of the crude, insane and often downright disgusting lines that Eminem drops.

Having said that, the album is absolutely brilliant. He has an ability to bend words, inject humor and metaphors, use alliteration to no end, and come up with puns that make you go: “Wait, can you rewind that?” He also gets sentimental and really lays it all out there. There are no secrets with this guy. He talks about his drug addiction, his failed relationships in life, not to mention some of his own work being sub-par, on numerous occasions throughout this album he trashes his last one (Relapse 2009). Even if some, okay – fine, even if many of the words he uses are classified as ‘potty-mouth’, his cleverness, wit and sheer rap talent prevails and trumps any cuss word he might use. It’s not music you dance to, and it’s not music you’d put in your headphones while reading a book. I’d venture to assume that this album is most definitely not for everyone, but for those that truly appreciate genius in this music genre, go get the CD.

If you're not sure about getting the entire album, allow me to suggest some individual songs to download:
  • On Fire -- raw free-style, very "Old School Eminem"
  • Not Afraid -- in a sense, a very inspirational song, great lyrics and a good work-out song
  • No Love -- features Lil Wayne, arguably one of the best rappers in the industry
  • Love the Way You Lie -- features Rihanna, currently getting radio play

1 comment:

  1. "Next time? There will be no next time. I apologize even though I know it's lies. I'm tired of the games, I just want her back. I don't want to lie. If she ever tries to Fuckin' leave again, I'm going to tie her to the bed and set this house on fire"...just gonna...

    Without question, THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete