Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The [New] Dad Toll

Growing up, when my family went out to dinner, my sister and I hardly ever ordered dessert. The server always asked the scripted question, “Would you guys care for any dessert?” and 99 times out of 100 the answer would be NO. However, that one time we would get dessert, that ‘rare treat’ if you will, my Dad would always insist he wasn’t up for any – he was “too full” he’d say. Yea right. As soon as the dish was brought out, my dad would always perform what he called The Dad Toll – which entails taking a [giant, perfectly-crafted] bite of our dessert. It was painful to watch. The dude that just said he didn’t want any just chomped down 1/6th of it, in one, fell swoop.

Now that we’re older, not much has changed. When we go out to eat as a family, it’s still very rare that we’ll order dessert, and when we do, my dad will still say he’s too full, but proceed to hack away at our dessert anyway. But now that my sister is of legal drinking age, the Dad Toll takes a new form: foo-foo alcoholic beverages. Since he’s buying, it’s safe to say that any blueberry pomegranate martini will be sampled by my Dad. As will a Shirley Temple, Pina Colada, or any other exotic-girlie-like drink.

Now that the whole family is of legal age, the average dinner tab has gone up, which I know makes my dad cringe. But I think the new and improved Dad Toll will help curb any discomfort with the bill, and undoubtedly take the edge off.

No comments:

Post a Comment