Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Guilt as an alarm clock

Guilt can be an effective alarm clock.

“Falling back” from daylight savings time has forced me to get up to run in the mornings, instead of after work, because now the sun beams on full-power at 6:30a and is essentially shut off at 5:30p. So unless I want to run with a headlamp and a flashing vest, I'll have to do it in the a.m. Less than twelve hours of sunlight… depressing.

I had decided that this morning was to be my first trial at pre-work running, as I gear up for a marathon in December. My alarm clock went off at 6:15a and I immediately shut it off; I didn’t even give the ‘snooze’ button the benefit of the doubt, I simply thought another hour and a half of sleep trumps any deal I had made with myself the night prior. I shut my eyes to go back to sleep until the guilt pulled me out of bed, out the door and onto the road with my running shoes. Knowing that I a) had made a deal with myself the night before and b) have a training deadline for an up-and-coming 26.2 mile haul was enough weight in the guilt section of my brain to get me up.

Going out on a weeknight and deciding to sleep in and be late for work or class hardly ever happens, even if you don’t set an alarm, the guilt of missing either of the two sets its’ own alarm clock. Staying over at a special someone’s house when it wasn’t in your best interest will not only wake you up and get you out of bed quickly, it will most likely happen way before the average person gets his or her day going. Being on vacation in Europe is hardly a vacation, you don’t ever sleep in! And it’s not because you’ll truly miss out on anything but because you’ll feel guilty for sleeping too long while you’re in Europe (God forbid).

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment